Sunday, January 30, 2011

THE.BEST.WEEKEND.

As always, my excursions have been excellent, but this one takes the cake. My blog will be a bit different though this time. First, all of the fun stuff that happened, then the amazing things. We started off going to a hot springs hotel/resort at Arenal Volcano. They had these AMAZING hot spring water slides. There was one that was super fast and to be quite honest, quite painful. It went so fast and had a ramp at the bottom, where you literally caught air before hitting the water. It was INTENSE!! After the 2nd time we all went, Joey asked the worker if we could go down head first. SI! We all got bruises or cuts, but it was so worth it. I do not think that many went down head first though, maybe that was smart? We then spent the rest of the night lounging in the hot springs and eating dinner. It started to rain at one point, and just made the expereince that much better. Seriously, this place looked like a movie set. The dinner was also phenomenal, buffet style baby! After this, we went back to our hotel, and a bunch of us hung out together until midnight or so and we all turned in.

SATURDAY: Wake up pretty early, ate breakfast at the hotel, then head over to the waterfall. It was such a beautiful hike down and the falls were beautiful. A lot of people swam in the waterfalls too. I have thoroughly discovered that I do not do to well in the elevation. If I got on my toes, my legs would ShAkE!!! I partially did not swim because of that, but also because the water was really cold. A lot of people walked around the water to the inside of the waterfall, then jumped in. Probably not the smartest thing to do, but fun to watch. At this point many of us were walking on the rocks, and I would be the one to slip right? It must have looked really bad because when I sat up, everyone was just starting at me with their mouths open. It did not hurt at all, but definitely had my feet completely in the air, with my arm in a crevice, and my head on a boulder. (Sorry mom and dad, just being detailed). It was such a thrill. We walked back up, huffing and puffing, then got back on the bus. Back to the hotel, lunch in the little town, (which was also beautiful), EGGNOG ice cream, then I would soon experience the best ride of my life.

We got into little vans, of a company called Jeep-boat-jeep. I did not get to ride with my friends :(, but it was not to long of a ride. We then all got into a huge boat, that took us across some body of water. I could have stayed on that boat all day long. I took pictures, but they would never suffice. If you looked back you could see the bottom of Arenal volcano, and of course a rainbow. No one talked much on the ride. It was some good prayer and thinking time. We make it to shore, then get into another van (with my friends). This SHOULD have been the WORST ride of my life. We are going up the mountains to Monte Verde, with the biggest potholes and curves and bumps EVER! and I have had my fair share of bumpy rides in Costa Rica. I could have been sitting on lava and I would have still been thrilled. This was the most beautiful ride I have ever experienced. Rolling hills of green accompanied by a beautiful sunset, with the slightest blue of the Pacific in the distance. We stopped so many times to get out and look.

We made it to the hotel in Monte Verde, then headed out to get dinner. I had spinach ravioli and a great little restaurant. After walking around the city for a bit, we headed back to the hotel. Everyone was going to the roof of the hotel to all hang out, and that was not exactly what I had in mind. I walked up the street and found a field. I jumped over the fence, and heard my friends talking about where I was, and they headed over. I did some great snake stomps, (they have one snake that has around 90 snake babies?? at a time. It is so venomous that you are required to kill it by law) and it looked like a good walking path. We walked up in the field for a bit to one of my favorite things- star gazing!! I called them over and we all just stood in awe. A couple of them left quickly because I think they were a bit worried about sitting in the grass, but Caroline, Ben and I stayed. We walked up yet further and found a log to sit on. More snake stomping, and Caroline and I laid on the ground in pure amazement. MORE TO COME IN NEXT PARAGRAPH....

Sunday Morning- woke up to a great little breakfast overlooking Monte Verde, then headed to the Zipline! AMAZING!!! It was so much fun, and so pretty there. There was one rope where you jumped backwards off of a tree, and stopped inches above the ground. Somehow I got stuck on 2 ropes though. The workers had to come out pull me in the rest of the way. I was not braking at all, so do not really knwo what happened. The second rope that I got stuck on, you had to ride with 2 people. I was riding with Joey, and we happened to be at the end of the group. Everyone got to watch us get rescued and of course take pictures. FINALLY, the TARZAN!! You walked across a rope bridge, then jumped straight off. I do not know why, but I never get nervous about those things. I wish I would though because I feel like it would be more fun. Anyways, it was way more fun than expected. I think I actually said "Oh" as I was falling. Not a yell or scream but "oh", because I was surprised. Back to the hotel, lunch in the town, RUM AND RAISIN ice cream, and off on the bus back to San José.

Now for the good stuff: I wish it was possible to describe how renewed I feel after this weekend. I have had some things on my mind, but this weekend and time was mended me. I truly can not remember the last time I have felt so close to God as this time away. All of the beauty seems to slap you in the face. I can imagine God just wanting to get the point across to me. I have created all of this, given you all of this beauty, this experience, these amazing friends, and you still fail to give me your complete heart. Spiritually, this has been the time that I have felt this close and certain. If these past 3 days were the reason for me coming to Costa Rica, I would be completely fulfilled. I am so excited to see where I will be going next form here and encourage anyone reading this to examine your life too! I hope that I can give you a word of encouragement, because I have received so much myself. From my heart to yours!



The Start of it all. Precious.


La Fortuna Waterfalls




Thankful

No comments:

Post a Comment