Sunday, January 2, 2011

The first day in San José


Leaving my parents and Denver at the airport this morning made my trip seem a bit more real, but I still do not think that it has hit me yet. We took off from LC at 6:53 and landed at 7:21, a whopping 28 minute flight. I arrived in Houston with enough time to call home, charge my computer, and board the plane. The plane ride went so well, and going through customs was an absolute breeze. After I found my group, more students started to arrive. And it just so happens that the first 2 girls that I met were Christians. This was followed by The biggest and most vivid rainbow that I have ever seen! San José is so beautiful and I am excited to see more of the city.

Once we arrived to the school, families started walking up from their houses. These were the people that we would be staying with. I felt like a puppy or sale, because the people would call out names and you had to raise your hands to find them. Senor Herbert and his daughter picked me up and we drove to his and his wife Cecillia's house. He quickly left to buy something for the house and she quickly made me tea and bread. We sat down and talked for about an hour and a half, and it went much better than I had expected, even considering the fact that she does not speak English. I then found out that I was not the only student staying here, but that there were four more. That was nice to learn and I think this will be fun once we get to know each other better.

After the snack, I came to my room, unpacked a bit, then headed back down for dinner. Senor Herbert talked about so much, and I think I dozed in and out due to my tiredness and all of the Spanish. I can not recall much from the conversation except waist/belts, butterflies, antibiotics in different countries, jazz, and the hot water in Costa Rica.... you connect the dots.

All in all it was a great day. Everything went so smoothly and I feel so welcomed at their home. I could tell how much Cecillia likes having students at her house and helping them with their Spanish. Tomorrow we are eating breakfast at 7 and heading to school at 7:30 for orientation. School will start on Tuesday. I am excited for orientation tomorrow to better understand what there next 11 weeks will look like.

It is so funny how the family keeps on saying how cold it is outside, and even right now at 9:30 at night it is 68 degrees. It is that perfect weather where you can wear shorts or pants and be completely comfortable. That may sound silly, but that is the best way to describe it. There is hardly any humidity and a constant breeze. I guess I am learning as to why they call it the rich Coast.



3 comments:

  1. Such a beautiful description Kelsey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a wonderful first day! I am sooooooo thrilled for you Kelsey! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY! I am so glad that you are getting to do this! You are going to have such an awesome time!

    ReplyDelete