Monday, January 10, 2011

My weekend in Tamarindo

I was not sure how the weekend would be, but it turned out to be so great! I was able to ride both ways with my friend Hope and we had a great time together. Once we arrived, Hope, Mel, and I roomed together. Almost everyone wanted to go out to a salsa club and I was not really feeling it, but thought that I should go to hang out with everyone. Luckily, Hope finally said that she really did not want to go, so we 3 went out to eat Venezuelan food, which tasted like an empanada of grits!
After that we met up with our new friend Ben, from Alabama, and we all went to the beach at night. We had a great time together, and it was nice to get to know everyone better. He had a game in which he asked us our favorite color, animal, and favorite thing about creation. So here is the verdict: green because it is natural, which is how I see myself, my favorite animal was a dolphin because they are intelligent and can do cool tricks, which is what I look for in a spouse (I knew Zack had me when he started his cool tricks, like backflips and Christmas dances, and we all know how smart he is!) and my favorite thing about creation is a sunset, because they are all unique everyday and this is how I view God. I guess that is cool, like everyday is something new for me from God, just like a sunset.
We woke up, had breakfast, then headed to the beach. After much diliberation, we used some surfboards of some other girls and gave it a shot. Hope had done it once, so gave me a little lesson, then we headed out. I was so surprised how much easier it was than I thought it would be. The first time I tried to stand up, I did it! It was so much fun, and eventually there were about 15 girls who all came out and tried it. Obviously, we all did not master the turn yet and just made sure that no one was in front of us before we started. I went on one wave, then Hope was coming on the next one. Amazingly, she turned, but in the wrong direction and was coming straight to me. I tried to move, but her board went over my ankel cord, leading to me being dragged about 30 feet by her and her board. It was shallow, so not dangerous or anything, but supplied us with so much laughter. It was such a fun day at the beach hanging out with all of the girls.
For dinner, about 10 of us went to a restaurant on the beach. We got free coco loco drinks, which was sweet coconut milk and cinnamon, and was AMAZING (Zack, you would have Loved it)!!! After that, I had my first ceviche. It was not as abrasive as I thought it would be, and quite good. I do not know if I will be going out for it every night, but I have been wanting to try it for a long time. After, we all walked on the beach and started to make a bonfire. This also took a LONG time, because it consisted of throwing leaves on the fire, until some wood finally caught flame. It was a great time getting to know everyone though. We all headed back to the hotel, and sat by the pool to talk and play games.
I feel like the weekend was such a good time to get to know everyone and bond. Now I feel like a big group of friends, rather than just students at the same school. I talked to so many Christians too, and we all felt so thankful that we were able to meet each other. We all said that we had been praying to meet good friends, and feel so blessed to have met each one of them!
After the 6 hour drive home, everyone was exhausted. I came home, ate a HUGE meal, SKYPED, then hit the bed. It was such a long weekend, but such a great way to start off my trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment