Sunday, January 23, 2011

OO AAA AAAAAA -- MONKEYS

I know that most of my posts start like this, but today was another AMAZING day!! We had to be at school for 6:20, then we headed towards the River. The guide was really funny. All of our guides have been. He was talking about how most of the accidents in the raft are from people letting go of their paddles and hitting other people. He said he saw this one girl who was so gorgeous and she got hit in the mouth and lost a tooth. "Yes, you are gorgeous, but not too much". It is just funny how they word their English sometimes.

We had an awesome breakfast once we arrived. I had gallo pinto for the 2nd time here, which is strange. My mom never cooks it. After that, we rode up to the river and got into our boats. Our guides name was MONKEY. After he went through all of the instructions he told us when he said high 7, to put our paddles together in the air and well OO AAA AAAAAA Monkey! It was sooo much fun. We usually did high 7 after an intense rapid. I love how they say Pura Vida so much too. He said it after he tightened my life jacket, when something went wrong, when we had a good rapid..... everything. There is this one command, High side, which we were told RARELY happens. It is when you hit a rock or something and your raft goes almost vertical. Everyone has to jump to the "high side" of the boat to get it back down. Of course, if would happen to us. He told the left side of the boat to paddle backwards and Brennan, who was at the front did not hear him, hence running into the rock. Once we finally got it down, we went down the rapid a new way. He told Brennan, "hey men when I say back you go back, you don't do that to me on a level 4." He told us he had never been down that way before, and I could tell he was a bit tense. Hope asked if he liked it better, and he goes, um..... no not really. It was so much fun though. I think my favorite part was when he would yell "Get Down" and we would all jump into the boat because it was rough. Monkey learned ALL of his english rafting. I have met quite a few people who learn english through rafting or surfing, and I think that is so interesting. Rafting was surely different than I was expecting. The scenery was BREATHTAKING but I think I was expecting to be paddling much more. It was more of short bursts of paddling. Either way, it was such a blast!!

We stopped for lunch, and all of the guides came out with these waterproof cans and started pulling all kinds of things to make lunch. It was so good and fresh and I had my first sandwich since I have been here. There was chips, salsa, fresh wanter mellon and pineapple... the perfect rafting lunch.

Next was ONE OF THE MOST BEAUTIFUL things I have ever seen. The 2nd canyon we went through he let us jump out of the boat. He was big on enjoying the scenery, and told us to all let go and just float. Here we are, floating down crystal blue water, down a canyon, in one of the most beautiful places. It was so amazing!!!! I wish I could have had my camera with me to show all of you. Out of my whole trip, I think that was the most beautiful to me.

Just got in not to long ago, and about to go shower. We are eating dinner at home then heading over to Rachel's house for cards and dessert. I am making everyone the banana/peanut butter sandwich prepared like French Toast. Zack and I would make it together... :( Wish you were here to enjoy it with me!


No comments:

Post a Comment