Tuesday, January 4, 2011

First day of classes

Today was our first day of class. As usual, I spent way to much time fixing my schedule, in order to get the best classes to transfer back to LSU and the student coordinator already knows my name because of how much I went and saw him today and yesterday. The class that I really needed is not being offered, but I figured out that I can use another class to get the same amount of credit, which was AWESOME!! I entered my 4 hour Spanish class not knowing what to expect. It went by much faster than I had expected though. On the downside, I talked to my profesora later, and decided to move down a level. We both thought it would be best for me and my friend Hope is in that class too!

After this LOOONNNNGGG class, Melissa and I went to buy lunch somewhere. We went to a small store and bought chips and juice for about 850 colones (not even $2), which was pretty cool. After this I went up to my International relations class, only to wait another hour in the hall. The teacher never showed up, and we finally left under the advice of a coordinator..... Tico time for you. It was nice to sit in the hall and meet some more people though. A couple of us went to the conversation club, instead of sitting around. The club was run by my first teacher. We talked about differences and similarities between American and Tico culture, and this is when it really hit me how different they are. I think that southern culture is a bit more similar than other parts of the country, but it is still very different. One of the biggest things are the meals. Our Tico mother cooks for hours, but never eats with us. They say that in Costa Rica, the kitchen is the woman's domain, and no one else's. Bathroom life is WAY different, and social interaction is also very different. I am use to affectionate people and how people stand so close to you, but it is even stronger here. Arms length for a conversations shrinks to about a hands length, but it does not bother me.

After class Melissa and I walked back to our house, which is about 15 minutes form school, rested for a bit, then headed to the stores to buy me a bathing suit, which I forgot back home :(. We went to Pequena Mundo, Small world, which is a discount store. I bought a bathing suit for about 32oo colones, which is around $5 (Sorry mom, I know you are rolling your eyes at this). I did not feel like going into the mall, and it is HUGE so I would have no idea where to start. Surprisingly, I just tried it on and it is probably one of the best fitting bathing suits I have ever bought, hahha. Isn't it a small world??? Get it?

We came home and Cecillia whipped us together a quick dinner. She always cooks something special for me which is so sweet. Tonight we had salad, Yuca, a cousin of the potato, rice, beans, and she made me a omelette/quesadilla on a homemade tortilla which was awesome!!!!! We then started to walk to school for Latin American dance classes, but some girls told us on the way that it does not start until Thursday, which I can not say bothered me to much. I am so tired and my feet are sore from all of the walking today.

I am starting to feel more confident in my Spanish, but still feel a bit tense about the whole thing. I am sure that I will start to feel a bit more comfortable soon and a bit less tired.

One of the strangest things so far happened last night. I walked down stairs to ask for another pillow and since I was already in bed I just headed down. Herbert came out and saw my feet and said "Esto es muy mal in Costa Rica"! I completely forgot that I had no shoes on, and knew that it was considered rude in many Latin cultures. He told me though that because of the cold climate it is bad for your stomach????? Yes this cold 68 degree weather is very bad for me? I still do not quite understand that yet, and neither does any one else, but it is shoes for me from here on out!

No comments:

Post a Comment