Thursday, January 6, 2011

One more day till Tamarindo!

Hola amigos!!

I think I should start todays blog off with a funny story. Dillion, the guy who lives in our house, started to ask me why I do not speak with a southern accent. I started speaking in English because his wife is from Ukraine and does not speak Spanish and of course, my WORST accent EVER starts to come out. So we continue talking about Louisiana and the food, and I told them about Tony's, and how I meant to bring some with me. He says "Oh yea, Tony Ch-a-che-res" I proceed to tell him that it is not how it is pronounced, but he does not believe me. We go back and forth, and he finally says that it is in Cecillia's kitchen. Once gain I do not believe him because I have NEVER tasted it in her food. And sure enough, another student that lived with her before left it there. He finally believed me :), then I asked Cecillia if she ever cooks with it. She said that it was good, but when she ate it, she turned red, started sweating and had to drink so much water and milk!! It was funny to hear her explain it.

The food here has a lot of salt in it, and I feel that it is partially to blame for my dehydration.

Any way, I had another easy Spanish class today, ate another empanada from school, but I am going to have to buy my own food from the store, because it is quite greasy. Next I went to my international relations in Latin America class, and it seems great. The teacher is a young Tico with his Ph. D, and seems great. On Thursdays, we spend the whole class talking about current events in LA, and we have to read an article about the country that we choose. I picked Argentina.

Mel and I walked home, then went back to get Hope after her class. We then went to the mall, to cash Hope's travelers checks, but got to the bank at 6:01 and it closed at 6 :( I guess there are a few things that Ticos are on time for:) Dinner was HUGE!! She always makes me something special for me, without meat. It is nice that she is vegetarian too. I wad guacamole, a tortilla, salad, and a whole plate of fried spaghetti and rice (it was better than it sounds), called on torta.

We leave for Tamarindo beach tomorrow at 1 after class and I am SOOOOOO excited!! I probably will not have internet access, but maybe since it is a tourist area i can e-mail. I am hoping to attempt to surf, because this is the best place to learn in CR. Hopefully, I will be able to write all about it on Monday!
Chao!

2 comments:

  1. Hola kelsey! Ojala que pueda surf en la playa. Visite playa Jaco y Manuel Antonio y era muy peligroso. Quise surf pero yo he visto en los periodicos que cinco estadounidenses han muridos en la playa Manuel Antionio! Me da miedo y no probe surf. Pues, Lucia y yo queremos saber en cual barrio te quedas? En cual parte de San Jose estas viviendo? Cual mall visitaste? Estabamos cerca de Mall San Pedro pero hay tres o mas malls. Se dice que playa Tamarindo es muy hermosa. Tengo amiga aya que la visito y se puso fotos en Facebook. Ojala que todo este bien. Tenemos una idea. Si quieres, tu puedas visitar el lugar en donde yo ayude los missioneros mienstras estaba en San Jose. Es un lugar muy feo, pobre, y peligroso y no puedas ir sola pero, quizas tu puedas visitar con los misioneros o con sus amigos? No se, pero si quieres, habla a nosotros. pues, se vaya bien, Dios te bendiga! PURA VIDA

    ReplyDelete
  2. Siiiiii!!!! Mis amigos y yo querríamos ofrecer, pero no sabemos que? I vivo in Barrio Cordoba, cerca a Zapote. Ambos el mall de San Pedro y el centro están 15 minutos a pie desde aquí. Gracias por leer!!

    ReplyDelete