Monday, February 14, 2011

Intermedio- Half way!

Today, I am officially half way there. I have spent more days here than I have left to spend. It is pretty strange, I can not decide if it feels right. It seems like my days feel long, but my weeks go by so quickly. I am still very happy here and could not have dreamed for a better experience, but I do feel like in 6 more weeks I will be contently happy to return home. Not that I will necessarily want to leave here and also not that I feel such a strong desire to stay longer. Who knows, it is still 6 weeks away?

Today was a fun day! It was weird to stay in San José for the whole weekend. Joey, Ben, and I met at Ben's, and his Tico drove us to some missionaries house (These are the missionaries that we met in Manuel Antonio last weekend, and they live super close to us). It was strange to be in a car. I have only ridden in a taxi I think 4 times since I have been here. I really liked riding ins someone's car though. When I stepped in, I knew that it was a bit familiar though. It smelt just like Myra's car! Made me miss me Me-My!!! 

Once we got to their house, we chatted for a bit, then met some other families at a local bus stop. We took 2 buses, probably rode for about 20 minutes, to a small church. I am not even sure if it was technically a part of San José. I learned this in my Latin america geography class last semester, but the way Latin American cities are laid out are different from ours. There is usually a central plaza, with a church, and a central center. Instead of the suburbs being nice, like they are back home, the wealthy usually live closer in, and the periphery is reserved for the poor. Another interesting fact, you can see that set up in New Orleans. I am not sure about the poor living areas, but you can see the plaza, with Jackson Square and St. Theodor's Cathedral. The way it is laid out is so similar because of the Spanish influence there! Que interesante!! That was more like the area that we were in today. It was a cinderblock building, with 3 walls, a fence above the walls, that held up a tin roof. The place where the 4th wall should have been was completely open and looked out to the green hills of Costa Rica, GORGEOUS! The missionaries kept on saying how different it was from their churches and how it took them a while to adjust, but I never felt like that. Maybe I was just excited because I was at a Spanish church, but I felt very comfortable there. We sang hymns throughout, but I only recognized one, Great is thy faithfulness or Grande es tu Fidelidad. It was pretty easy to translate the songs with the hymnal though, I am glad we had one. It definitely got confusing though. We were standing and the pastor wanted everyone to read a verse together. He said the reference but I could not understand it. Joey and Ben were on either side of me with bilingual bibles, so I was going to read with one of them....only I could not. Joey was in Ephesians and Ben was in 1 Corinthians and the pastor was reading in Galations. ¡Que Torta!! (Costa Rica slang for something like aww bummer) Pretty close though!!

I understood a lot of the individual sentences that the pastor was saying, but they did not make to much sense putting them together. All in all though, I feel like it went pretty well. We were in Galations 5 and he talked a lot about not being able to do anything without the Spirit of God. "Porque en Cristo Jesús ni la circuncisión ni la incircuncisióntiene valor. Lo único que cuenta es la fe que se expresa a través del amor---For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision nor uncircumcision has any value. The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love.

After church, we all took 2 more buses back to the mall for lunch. I had a burrito and GUACAMOLE!!! I do not know where this originated form, but here the put cucumbers in the guacamole and it is SOOOO good. I think there were cucumbers/pepinos in the burrito too! 


I feel like this picture is appropriate for today. It is right out of my bedroom window and I see it everymornign when I wake up. I am pretty sure that you can figure it out, but it says Good morning Holy Spirit. I guess it is just painted on the backside of someone's house! Kinda Neat! ¡Que Dicha! (how great!!)






1 comment: