Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Field Trip!

So today I woke up, went to the park for a picnic con mis amigos, then had a field trip. We were supposed to go to the Foreign Policy Department, but they cancelled on us... again... so we went to the Congress instead. It was quite different. It was very informal, but at the same time nice for CR. We met the VP of the congress too, and our teacher seemed really excited. We had to dress up nice, so I wore my 1 pair of heals...bad idea! The last part of the tour was the actual chamber where they meet. There is a public room with sound and shatter proof glass. There were tons of fractures on the glass, because of people who come in and hit the glass when things are happening that they do not like. The Congress was meeting at 3, and it was around 2:30 when we were leaving, so people were already standing outside protesting. Obviously it is peaceful and does not get violent or anything, but I like that about other countries. At least people take the time to care and learn about what is happening. Supposedly, the past President of CR left the country pretty much broke, so the new president proposed a huge tax plan. For example, in restaurants there is a 13$ sales tax and a 10% gratuity automatically added on, and she wants to ad 10% more. That means 10% more tax to EVERYTHING! but the IRS of CR said that it only collects around 35% of taxes, so maybe they just need to make better ways to receive it. Obviously this is some big legislation, so maybe that is why so many people were coming out.

Some other cool things about CR government: There a 4 parties in the government right now. It is REQUIRED that in every committee, at least one representative has to be in each one. I do not know if this is necessarily good or bad, but the President has to get EVERYTHING she proposes approved by the Congress. Also, they just have the congress with about 52 members, not 2 bodies.

I came home after my field trip, and just had a relaxing day. I started on my homework, drew a bit, and just finished dinner. I am looking into more places to go with my friends too! Any ideas??

No comments:

Post a Comment